I stumbled upon a short animated video which did such a great job of showcasing the kind of leadership and a learning culture that will be needed to succeed in a workplace – which operates in a volatile business environment, has a multi-generational workforce and wants to thrive by moving forward.
Before we can continue, pls take the two or so minutes to watch the video below.
I hope you enjoyed the video, without having to think about and trying to learn something from the video.
In this video:
- The younger one represents the younger employees in your organisation.
- The Older one represents the experienced leaders in your organisation.
- The path is the changing business environment that your organisation operates in.
What I learnt from the video:
- It is important to have a diverse workforce, which thinks and acts differently – who have diverse world-views. Though, this can cause some amount of friction, research shows that this kind of friction is good for the business as it helps avoid group-think.
- Everyone has their unique strengths and weaknesses. You need to identify and allow the right person to lead at the right time.
- No matter how experienced you are, there will always be something that you can learn from the younger, so called inexperienced lot.
- No matter how old or experienced you are, you can always learn new tricks.
- It is important to understand someone’s world-view in order to be able influence them. Empathy is critical.
- When the young and old work together as a team, you can overcome anything that the VUCA world throws at you.
- There is a time when you need to do heads-down thinking (analytical) and there are times when you need to do heads up thinking (creative thinking).
What did you take away from the video?