We are entering an era where there is a good likelihood that we will be working along with some form or kind of artificial intelligence in our career.
If you Agree
If we agree on this premise, then we need to start thinking about some of the following questions:
- Why do we think that this is likely?
- What would that look and feel like?
- How will the AI – Human interaction evolve?
- What kind of work will the AI do and what kind of work will we humans do?
- What will be the composition of the teams?
- What happens if there are conflicts between humans and the AI?
- Will performance appraisals still exist? IF yes, will they be done in the same way for both Humans and the AI?
- Will there ever be conflicts between humans and the AI?
- Who will get promoted for good work – Humans or the AI?
- Will the AI also learn to lead? If yes, will it become a better leader than humans?
These are just pointers to the kind of questions that we need to start thinking about. I personally believe that we will have some kind of AI start working in our offices sometime soon and it would be better if we are prepared with an answer to these questions before that happens rather than start thinking about this post-facto.
If you don’t agree:
If we don’t agree on this premise, we need to start thinking about the following questions:
- Why do we think this is unlikely?
- What role will AI play in our organisations?
Irrespective of our belief, we need to start thinking about the role that AI will play in our organisation and the impact it will have on everything from culture of the organisation to how will humans and AI collaborate and work together.
The reason I bring this up is because, while I see a lot of people working on AI and trying to bring it to our cubicles, I don’t see any discussion or debate about what would it mean to have an AI work alongside us humans.Bringing AI to work alongside Humans will mean - #HumansAndAIatWork Click To Tweet
If you have thought about these, do share them with us as comments below or on any social media platform using #HumansAndAIAtWork.